The vet wants Niko to eat canned food (Hill's prescription diet) and be on an antibiotic because he's been peeing blood but doesn't have a blockage. Hahaha. Niko does not like the canned food. I got out some of the dog Wellness 95% turkey canned food and he liked that a bit better. But add in the ground pill and he quickly loses interest. He still much prefers dry food and tried to steal some of the dog kibbles from the counter when I was feeding them. Then he tried to steal some of Opal's food and got growled and barked at.
Why is it that cats don't like canned food? It seems like it would be so much more appealing to an animal. I don't get it.
And the prescription diet has pork by-products as the first ingredient. I remember that being on the list of things you don't want in pet food. Mother asked if we could use a more natural canned food and was told yes but I'm unclear if we're looking for something specific in the food.
Also, Clicker Expo will be in Portland OR and then in Lexington, KY next. It was so nice being able to go in Providence. It really couldn't have gotten much closer. I got sucked into reading a little about clicker people and tagging humans. It is a good focus to change your perspective from what people are doing wrong to what they're doing right. I still haven't heard or read about how exactly do you reward people successfully. I personally don't think pure clicker training is The Most effective train most things. I like using a clicker and I think it helps the process. But it does make things quicker to add a cue earlier than when the behavior is perfect and to use a few other modifications.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






My family lives in Lexington, so you could stay with them.
ReplyDeleteI suggest Pet Promise, Newman's Own, or Wellness cat food for Niko. And I agree that absolutely no by products. Grosssssss.
Our Leo protests canned food as well. Tuna juice sometimes help make it more appealing.
Thanks for the cat food suggestions. We got some Wellness Core and a Wellness grain free pouch, Newman's Own, and Innova Evo. Mother looked up some holistic cat websites and read that Wellness sometimes gives cats upset stomachs. I also read a bit from Pitcairn and his thoughts on cat food. The holistic view is that bladdar inflamation comes from grain based low quality dry cat foods that don't have enough moisture so antibiotics and prescription foods can help cure the symptoms but don't really address the problem or prevent a reoccurance. It does seem like canned is a better way to go for any animal because it's closer to the meat source and even the ones with grain seem to have a lot less. The guy at the pet shop warned that once you feed canned, cats won't eat dry again, and canned would be like eating tapioca pudding everyday. Raises an eyebrow. It would make sense that cat's teeth might get weaker although I'm not sure I totally believe that. And I don't buy the argument that dry food is "good" for a dog's or a cat's teeth. Raw food is good for teeth. Pitcairn recommends feeding cats two meals a day and then picking their food up and fasting on a liquid diet for a few days if the cat is addicted to dry food and not interested in the new diet. The holistic stuff goes along more with my feelings on the matter.
ReplyDeleteIs this the very Christain family? Because your parents live in Ohio, right?