I just spent way too much time going through the Dogwise clearance section and have added to my reading list. Ahhhh.
Been working some at stays. Both at mealtimes and there was one other time in the last week (for Kongs maybe?). Tom is much more aware of any release commands I might inadvertantly give with my body and much more likely to release himself if I touch him for example. He does better at longer stays. Opal does better with distractions. I gently touched them along their back and paws with a ruler and Opal didn't have a problem but Tom broke his stay the first time. Opal also will sometimes release when I say Tom's name. She does see it as a come command I think.
Went to stage 3 of Crate games where you release the dog from the crate. Tom came out and he sat and looked at me and basically offered default behaviors. He did go over to the crate and step inside a little but not far enough. He's used to being CT to go inside and getting feedback that he's on the right track. But I didn't reinforce that. After 2 minutes I did reinforce when he went in halfway. Then he backed out again and I held his collar and he immediately went in. He stills the crate as a scary place. Being in it while I'm there is okay but opting to go in it? I'm using the one upstairs that he's been put into when the workers were here for example. If I used the travel crate he'd probably like it more. He sleeps in that one frequently.
Interesting Breed Game and Human behavior experience today: When we were leaving Pratt Farm after a lovely walk, a man with a mixed breed asked if we minded if he let his dog out of the car to be loose. Click! Then we spoke to him a little. He was into mutts and rescues. The dog in question was a black, brown, white/tan dog with a double coat, kind of blocky head (in the shepherd way) and I'd guess she was about 60-75 pounds. (Wanted to do that without mentioning breeds, came close!) He asked what breeds Tom was and inquired if Tom was a lab mix. Mother gave the "anyone's guess" answer. And the man said that he'd been told his dog was a shepherd/lab x. The vet thought yes on Shepherd not so much lab but many people he'd spoken to said lab/shepherd so that's usually the answer he gave. I just thought it was interesting to have a mutt person play the breed game too. It's so ingrained! And I think you do need to work at it to ask about a dog without asking "what breed(s)?" Then he commented that Opal seemed friendly and asked about Tom. Mother said Tom was shy around men and we got the response McConnell describes. He bent forward a little and talked to Tom, trying to help him get over his fear I'm guessing. In any case Tom wasn't freaked out. Mother was holding him in the back and he was much more interested in watching the shepherd.
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment