Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Back to Training

Getting back into training Tom Tom was fun!

I did one of my sessions working a little on several different things. I think it's more fun. I haven't actually tried to figure out if Tom learns better that way but it seems like he might.

I got a Natural Balance mini roll at the pet store last time we were there and the dogs think it's the pretty great! I like it because it's very easy to cut up, a little crumbly but not too much, easy to feed, not messy and doesn't make my fingers smell too icky. So yay!

We worked on some right finishes which I've been retraining. They were okay with the luring method but are much prettier if he swings his hind end around. And he's much better at that now anyways, so why not use it? I'm cueing him with my right hand pointing left. Sometimes he gives me a spin which probably feels reasonably similar to him and the hand signal is similar. I want a signal that looks similar to the luring I do to get him to swing far enough but I might need to make it more different from the spin hand signal.

I also worked on some come retraining and decided I'd only give the cue when he was running towards me quickly. I've been making it a game by running away from it, cueing, click, treat. Hopefully we'll get some enthusiasm.

I also got inspired to work more on a bow. I tossed the ball for him and it rolled under a kitchen chair. To get it he went into the bow position so I set up some reps with him going for the ball under the chair. Worked so much better than when I've tried with holding a treat under there. I can pick my time to click and deliver the treat much better this way. Probably builds a little ball interest/drive, too.

Using Cat's suggestion for the Easy Button I worked with him on that too. This time I picked it up between repetitions. Definite improvement in stimulus control than if he had access to it the whole time. Just need to make sure that my putting it on the ground, bending over, standing up doesn't become a cue. My cue is "nice work" for now though I would like to come up with something better. I think I'd ask for some task oriented behavior like "take it" and then cue the easy button.

I'm working with Opal on catching treats that are on her nose. Her preference is to lick them off of her nose, hoping I can change that.

On a bad note, Tom snapped at Mother when the oil delivery guy (?) was here and she was trying to put him away and touched his back. Darn! I thought we were doing well with the collar grabs and shoulder grabs. I think I need to do more work with her grabbing him in general and perhaps set up some more stimulating situations but that aren't at the level of a delivery person. One problem is that he knows when we're playing the grab game and is good then but it makes it harder to have a realistic set-up. When Michael came in the house I pretended he was a stranger and got worked up and grabbed Tom's collar and brought him back to the kitchen. He was unphased and probably knew it was Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment