Saturday, April 11, 2009

Observation

I just looked at some Susan Garrett youtube videos. I know some of them are for promotion of her methods.

But, it did strike me that one of the things I really appreciate about Patricia McConnell is how down to earth she seems. How willingshe is to say she doesn't totally understand something or might be wrong on her blog and her in books.

I'm very pleased I will be seeing her. I wonder if I'll get up the courage to send an inquiring email before that.

Tom note: Today was our Passover seder. Slightly rough start with Tom not being on leash when the guests arrive. Usually someone grabs him quite quickly and it's no problem. But he got to go charging out barking towards the front door and was a bit worked up. The good news being that I got him on a leash grabbed the cheese I'd already gotten out and brought him into the kitchen. He was wonderful after that. Totally tuned into me. I treated a lot for eye contact and also for looking at other people. Then for going up to sniff people. I said "yes" when he got close, he comes back to me for the treat. I was very impressed with him. He does better in larger crowds ironically. I feel less comfortable with him in those situations only because I have less of a handle on whose going where in relation to Tom. He had a muzzle on. For the sitting down parts he lay a little ways off from my chair. At the end, he did get stepped on and yelped and maybe growled? I felt bad about that. I took him into my room and fed him cheese then brought him upstairs and took off his muzzle.

Michael stepped on my bare foot too. I can understand how Tom feels. Owww.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, one or two unintimidating females or a large crowd are usually best. It's amazing how people who would likely cause a reaction, my very tall, broad shouldered, 19 year-old cousin would have been a big deal if there were say three people, but barely got more than a second glance.

    ReplyDelete