Friday, March 13, 2009

First Weaves training session

The weaves are set up with exercise pens and all. Yay! We got two sessions worth in before dark.

I have a jump and tunnel also set up.

Started Tom with just food and he did fine but was a bit slow. Opal and Mother worked together.

I took out a toy and got some interest from Tom. Then Opal was out and leaping for it. She stole it from me but I got it back and asked Mother to grab her. Tom was interested at first and I tried a few front crosses throw toy. But then he saw it more as a retrieval object. Go grab thrown toy bring it back and get treat which doesn't particularly involve speed. I think I'll try stopping after one throw next time. I also wonder if I don't include treats with a toy if he'll stay more interested in the toy as a toy and not as a way to get treats.

For the second session I took Opie out first. She took the toy the first time I gave it to her and ran around with it a lot and we had fun playing. Not exactly the response I want (take toy and run in circles for many minutes) but any toy interest in her is to be encouraged. She's strange. If there's only a toy she may be interested. But if I take out treats to reward a "thank you" release then she'll stop being interested in the toy and will only mouth it to try to get treats but won't tug. Anyways she was more interested in weaves and jumping and faster, too.

Tom second session. Very similar to the first with some sniffing and slowness but basically doing the obstacles.

No comments:

Post a Comment