Mother and I actually arrived a few minutes early to class! I let Tom sniff and pee for what I thought was long enough. I tied Tom up next to Katrin to walk the course. He did not enjoy it and wanted to be rescued.
Class started with Bug lunging at Backster, I think. Tom was a little freaked out by it. Opal was unfazed. Sandy didn't stay for class. I took Tom into a corner to try to get eye contact. Some of it I cued. He did better if I had my back to distractions and he didn't have to turn away from them to give eye contact.
Tom did the first jump and took off sniffing and keeping away from me. He finally pooped. Then I got him back for a second but didn't have a chance to tell him to do an obstacle. I finally got him to do a few obstacles and stuck him in the car. Katrin suggested that being in the barn might be overstimulating enough and might fry his brain.
His second run was much better. When the jumps were being changed I grabbed him from the car and brought him inside and started. He stayed with me. One or two obstacles he went around but then came right back. Yay! Lots of treats for doing an obstacle and coming back. Nice weave poles.
Next class, get to class early enough to take both dogs out and leave Tom in the car except for when he's actually running. The other advantage is that I can watch other people running much easier.
Opal was amazing! Nice weaving and she did all the obstacles and didn't quit. There was one tunnel, otherwise all jumps and poles. Opal looked like she was having fun, too. Mother is also doing well, with crosses and cuing and not body blocking Opie. I think Opal would like Hoopers. She would have to slow down, but she'd be very happy doing it.
I clipped Opal's other paw's toenails. I tried very hard to cut the tiniest slivers. Next onto the back feet. Eeks! Her quicks are much closer on those nails it seems.
I'm looking forward to reading Control Unleashed that Julie was kind enough to lend to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Yeah, I was thinking about what I want to do about a crate. I should find a book or something and start training him to like his crate. He's started going in there when it's open but I've been hesitant to close the door because I don't want him to stop liking it.
ReplyDeleteThe car might be a little warm, but if he is crated the hatchback can be open.
CU is great! It's also great that it deals specically with agility.