I had a half day from school and lots of training got done.
First, work with Tom on tricks. Putting "chase your tail" as the verbal cue for turn in a left circle and "circle" for a right circle. I'm putting all my tricks on verbals having realized that Tom only recognizes the hand signals. Also work on dead dog and him fetching my phone. Not sure if I'll continue on that one because it is difficult for him to pick up my cell phone. I think I'll just strengthen it until he can get the cell phone with more ease. Then have the cue be the cellphone ringing. Another cool trick idea would be to teach him to flip open a book with his nose and stare at the pages and appear to read.
Eye contact work with Tom. Some before riding. He sniffed a little, then tuned into me. Still isn't doing steady bouts of eye contact. On one of the times I clicked too late when he was looking above me and then he tried "brief eye contact then look up" with no treat and realized that was not what he was getting rewarded for, at least on purpose. I tried to stretch out the eye contact length by counting to 3, 4, and 5 and then varying it by rewarding one second.
Opal work. She is doing well with the weaves with all cages. We haven't tried too much experimenting with different handler positions and need to build that in.
When I came back from riding Mama took off one of the cages. At first Opal blew by the last pole. I lured her once or twice. In the opposite direction-- starting with the missing cage-- she did them perfectly. Back to ending with the missing cage. She did catch on. Then Mother started working her. Her hardest sides were when the handler is on the same side of the missing poles. By the end of the session we were both very amazed at how she got it. If we waited for her and didn't give in to the blocking temptation or luring then she often chose to finish the weaves without any help. I think we ended that session at the right time. Yay Opie!
Tom eye contact 2. He spent the first several minutes sniffing around eating all of the treats Opie dropped. Canned chicken is really not the greatest treat because it shreds too easily. Then he finally tuned into me and was giving eye contact. I did the 90 degree turn and stared at a spot three feet in front of me. He moved a little to my left and tried for eye contact, then he tried for eye contact two feet in front of me. Sorry, boy, that's not quite it. Then he lay down behind me. He didn't come close to the spot for many minutes. I finally lost my patience and put the food down on the ground when he was in front of me and clicked when he got to the spot. I know, I know, not the ideal move. Then some more clicks for eye contact and I ended the session.
Feeding Time.
Did a little more work on Opal's sitting stays and Tom's verbal commands. I clipped Opal's front right paw and didn't get the quick. Phew! I had Tom be near the clippers and he didn't seem too nervous.
Since yesterday he's seemed happier. In the past week, at dinner time he's gone upstairs and not wanted to come down to eat. Sometimes I took him down to his crate, which he seems to prefer because of Opal protection, I'm guessing. Other times I just fed him when he came down. Today he was down when I was getting their food ready. I need to think about going homemade or raw. Opal doesn't chew kibble and I can't imagine that's good. Tom's also been more willing to come to me when he's outside.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment