Thursday, June 18, 2009

3rd Rally

I felt like this course was easier, but perhaps I'm just getting the hang of it. There were no cones to spiral, figure 8 or weave.
1. Start
2. Halt and start off at fast pace. Need to be careful that Tom is with me and watch him. And if he's not with me, let the leash go loose.
3. Right turn
4. Call to front. Our fronts could be straighter. 1, 2, and 3 steps back with a sit after each step(s). Dog should move with me back which he did for clucking on the second try.
5. Halt. About turn. I wanted to skip the halt.
6. 270 degree right turn. Tom gets the stay with me idea
7. Step to the right. Easiest to take a diagonal. This took some coordination from me to make sure I was taking a step with my right and not anticipating and crossing my left foot over my right. I could start training the halt, handler steps right calls dog into heel.
8. Forget the name but where you turn into the dog and the dog goes around you. No problems there.
9. Call to front. Right finish and walk off. A good cue for that is "around". I need to work on that one. No stepping back with my right foot as I was taught to train it in 4-H.
10. Finish
11. Honor exercise. Long down. The first time (we got to go through the course twice), Tom broke about 2/3 of the way through. The second time he held. I can talk to him and tell him to hold the stay as much as I want. Also remembered to think about leaning the second time if I thought he'd break. Thank you Patricia McConnell DVD. Are honor exercises mandatory or like extra credit? Jenny said she'd look that one up. I also wanted to know if you lost everything if your dog broke.

Jenny commented that Tom looked much more comfortable. Mother did stay to watch which probably helped, along with fewer people. Nice to see Marlene. Smiles. She said we'd be trialing in not too long. I asked about the next session and that you can make arrangements ahead of time if you're clear which classes you'll be missing.

Getting a better sense of the finesse that's required. Less than obedience but loose leashes are crucial and there are things you need to be concious of because the judge's are looking to dock points.


Need to figure out the best way to carry the leash. Bunched in my left? Or mostly in my right with the left hand on the leash. In any case, feed with the left hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment