We had Opal out with several bones and a Kong in my room and Niko in the kitchen. Niko was a Kommando Kitty and spied on Opal. Then I think she saw him and came rushing out. He moved out of her way but didn't go far. Then he went on defense, approaching growling and hissing. Opal did her vertical Greyhound playing thing. What she'd do with a turtle that she wasn't quite sure what to make of. I gave Opal treats for retreating and for staying away in general. Niko was in charge. When he moved Opal came to lie down by my chair for liver and Niko gradually came onto the loveseat half a foot from her head. She didn't see him and kept getting treats. Then she did see him and there was some hissing and a backtracking greyhound.
This didn't feel quite gradual to me but I'm not sure what the other options were. Since Niko was totally sticking up for himself without human intervention I felt fine about letting Opal get hissed at for her to realize he's not a playtoy or prey. And I know that Opal's prey drive isn't that strong for something that isn't running away from her. She backed off from Sophie a lot. I know that I can throw treats in front of her nose and we can do more counter conditioning. But I do sort of question how much the CC helped. Perhaps it gave Niko more confidence, being around dogs and having them be controlled. And I think the dogs have the benefit of a foundation to focus around the cat.
Worked on Tom's finishes. Clicked him for the turn and he improved immediately. Oh, that's what you want from me! Continued putting easy button on cue.
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






I will say: We did pick a good Kommando Kitty. He is one tough guy. He certainly looked like an elite reconnaissance ground soldier, speeding from cover to cover, fearlessly spying on the enemy at close range. Bravo, Niko!
ReplyDelete