Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I tried to have cat counter conditioning sessions while playing a game with the family. Was not particularly successful at multitasking but the dogs and Niko did well.

Started with Tom on leash then off, by me in the dining table. Niko was out and allowed to do as he pleased. Tom got chicken and was quite content to stand by me. Niko came over a few times really really close trying to get chicken. Tom looked at him and was a little interested but easy to redirect with chicken. It was a very calm "oh there's a cat, I'm going to wag my tail a litlte faster and keep my eye on him but other than that I want more chicken." He still shows too much predatory appearing interest. I'm pretty sure Niko will defend himself but I'd like Tom to not think of Niko as potential prey.

I let Opal out with the bone I picked up from Planet Dog. She had no clue how to eat it or chew on it and mostly lay down in the living room with it. I gave her treats about once a minute for doing anything that was not rushing or staring at Niko. She came into the kitchen a couple times with her ears up and tail up and curved, very vertical body posture, that she uses for play with animals that she's not sure of what they're going to do. That's my take on it anyway. It was not "I'm stalking you, I'm rushing you, I want to eat you." Then there was an incident where Niko ran right beside Opal chasing a moth and she put her nose down to sniff him and got hissed and clawed at. A few other minor Opal coming up to Niko and getting hissed at. I gave her treats for backing off.

Rally Commands
Finish is coming along. I have to make a dramatic motion backward for him to make enough of a turn to sit straight. Not sure how exactly to fade that because it's more of a lure and he doesn't go back far enough if I don't use it. I ordered the Pamela Dennison book from the library about Rally and I'd be interested to train using some of her suggestions. Tom's figured out the turn thing where I turn into him and he goes to the outside of me and ends up on the proper side. He just waits for me to make my turn and has figured it out. On the heel into a down, he will do it but a little slowly. Not sure if that's an issue because it's clear he's downing and not sitting, pause, down.
I got my copy of Control Unleashed. I should really fence a part of the back yard and start with some of the offleash work again.

Watched some Reading Between the Lines and I really like. Very addictive though.

I've been wondering if it would be possible to volunteer at the MSPCA to clicker train the shelter dogs.

2 comments:

  1. Just wondering...was this the last cat counter-conditioning? Well, I have this to report: Niko was crying to come downstairs, and I was working in the dining room with Tom snoozing on the loveseat in the same room. So I let Niko in. I think he was very thirsty. There was a little adjustment period, checking each other out. Niko growled a little, and Tom was very trembly at first but respectful, no lunging. He did walk around Niko, then went back to loveseat. Now the three of us have been hanging out here, very calmly for a couple hours. Nike was on a kitchen chair for a while. Then he got up and went to snooze on Liza's bed. I think we're very close! Brava, Shaya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since the cat counter-conditionig has become less formal I haven't been making lots of separate posts.
    Yay! Sounds like good progress.

    ReplyDelete