Friday, June 26, 2009

4th Rally

Before going to Rally we stopped by Wrentham Outlets with Tom. It was a bit of a pain because either Mother or I had to hold him because I didn't bring a short enough leash and in any case he probably would have barked. He's not used to being tied up outside places like a city dog. Lots and lots of people came up and exclaimed over him. Most people asked. Yay! And those with kids instructed the kids to ask but a few people came up and started petting. I don't consider it as big a faux pas if the dog comes up to you wagging their tail and acting friendly. I also think that people often don't ask as much with puppies. And so many people thought Tom was a puppy. I have to be careful to say "He's six years" when asked how old he is. Wrentham Outlets would be a good place to socialize a puppy. Lots of different types of people and there's enough space that you can get away if there is a problem.

The course was a novice one because several people are competing at the AKC show in Wrentham this Sunday.
1. Left Spiral (dog on inside). Several people didn't take the cones wide enough and the dogs knocked them over. Knocking over cones is bad.
2. 1,2,3 steps with halts. Tom likes that one.
3. 270 degrees right
4. Schutzhund turn, turn into dog, dog goes around the outside
5. Right turn
6. Front and left finish. Need to work on my finishes of both types. The first time Tom was lagging and the front was messed up or something. We got it by the end.
7. 360 degree right turn. I lost Tom on one of those. If I keep my hand in front of his face and focus on keeping my left shoulder forward it works better.
8. About turn. (By this time you're really dizzy)
9. Halt, one step right, call dog to sit.
10. Halt walk around dog. Jenny said that it helps if you don't look at your dog because you don't want them following you to continue giving eye contact.
11. Left turn (I think) might have been a little more complicated.
12. Step right. You must step off with your right foot. I need to concentrate to do that one correctly. Sign ends up on your left side
Finish and remember to keep all signs on your right side!

I did some of the "We don't need no stinking leashes" game before my second run. Tom did fairly well at the dropped leash. He didn't follow me on the turn a few times heading back towards the other dogs. Problem though, is that the game doesn't require left heels just the dog being with you. So Tom ended up on the wrong side a couple times on course with some of the turns.

That was the last rally class in the session. I'm not going to do any training classes until I get back from summer trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment