Friday, June 5, 2009

Clicker Training

So I created a nice little graph of training with Excel and got it exactly how I want it but haven't found any way to make it into either a widget on the side of the blog or enter it in as text. Drats. Any ideas?

I've started Karen Pryor's Don't Shoot the Dog. I read it thinking "Oh, this is a book I should read but it'll probably be sciency and might not be the easiest thing to get through." I was so wrong! It's really easy to read with lots of fun anecdotes and practical applications. I'm surprised I'm on page 90 seeing as I only got it last night.

So reading about clicker training wants me to clicker train. I had the idea to teach Tom to paw target the front of my shoes to get straight fronts. If he's focusing on being close enough to touch my shoes that'll be good. Then I'll click for being partially off my shoes until his toes are touching mine or an inch away. I think that'll be easier than clicking for being gradually closer because the criteria will be clearer.

Intersting side benefit. Tom has the superstition that lying down helps with targeting. And for the Easy button it was an advantage because he usually hit it harder when he was lying down instead of standing. So when I started training a double foot target he was lying down for some of it and I'd move my foot a little away and he'd crawl over and target it. Hmmm. Could be a good way to teach the crawl...

I did one session upstairs in my parent's room and then a few hours later did one in the living room because Niko was upstairs. The one upstairs progressed quickly with him understanding the foot targeting perhaps 60% within one session. Then in the living room we went back to square one. He still caught on quickly but the knowledge didn't seem to transfer. I was not a good trainer and kept mixing up my criteria. Pawing at my leg, okay that's close. Now I'm not going to click that you have to touch my shoe actually. A few shoe touches then a down and some eye contact. Then pawing at leg okay I'll give a few clicks for that and I'll click for moving paw around my shoe too. Uh that was a step even prior to pawing leg! Tom is gentle, luckily. Which is part of the reason I want to teach a close front as he is wary about invading my body space too much. If I consciously focus on leaning backwards he will come closer for a front. I think it would still be good to have more concrete criteria so he knows his place even if my body language isn't what it should be.

Opal "delicious" session. I just need to jump in and put this one on cue. I'm worried she won't get the cue concept and I'll lose it if I hold off on treats. She's regularly offering the lick but I doubt she "gets" it. Tom will give me signs he gets something. He'll glance at me and immediately do what he was just clicked for so I know he has a sense of what he's being clicked for. Licking lips is so common a behavior especially around food that I'm not sure she knows that's what working. Still, I don't think I'll get much farther. Another Opal issue is that she will quit on me. Today I stopped before she quit. C/T me. Opal does not have the attention span of Tom. Opal does not have the attention span or interest of Tom. Opal does not have the attention span or interest of Tom. Need to remember that.

No cat session. Liza wasn't in the mood. Ahem! I don't feel comfortable doing it by myself because I need someone to handle Niko. If he decides to either leave or jump the baby gate or something I need someone to get him back or prevent that sort of thing. I thought about putting up the gate and taking Niko out but decided it wasn't worth the risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment