Sunday, May 10, 2009

Cat Socializing

We’re following the WDJ Pat Miller counter conditioning method for socializing cats and dogs. Niko and the dogs have stayed in separate rooms since Tuesday night when we got Niko.

Opal: started in the mudroom with her out of sight, brought out Niko, then Opal. She didn’t seem to realize he was there. Moved up as far as the island. Took Niko away and treats with him then brought him back. She glanced at him at least once. Niko wouldn’t eat and was frozen. Two sessions, Niko was taken away and brought back once.

I think Opal may respond to Tom as far as getting predatory with cats. She didn’t seem to care much at all. She might need a moving cat for her prey drive to kick in.

Tom: He was more excited in general. Same procedure as above. I stopped Tom at the threshold to the mudroom. He was definitely interested and alert in Niko. When I reached for more chicken he focused on Niko and I had to stick my hand in front of his nose to get him back. Three sessions with two removals and replacements. By the end he was barely glancing at Niko. I wonder if part of that is that I started teaching the “Look at that” game but don’t have it fully on cue.

He definitely has more of a prey drive for an animal that isn’t moving.

I think a lot of work may go into when we have both dogs together because that’s the ultimate goal.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like good progress!! I hope they don't hurt Niko....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother says I'm going super conservatively. Uh, yeah that's the point. We don't want any lunging behavior which would be a dog past the threshold level. So Niko should be safe. If we continue to go slowly it should all work out. They never hurt Sophie.

    ReplyDelete